Monday, January 20, 2014

Why The Pew?

Why this blog?  Why this title, “Sitting In My Own Pew”? It is quite symbolic.

A Pew is the quintessential symbol of the Western/American church, outside of the steeple, of course; which is, in fact, outside. Both steeple and pew have fallen on hard times and seem destined for some endangered species list in an architect’s office somewhere.  People keep lists like that you know. 

This long time metaphor of Sunday piety is being replaced by a much comfier version of sitting in rows, interlocking chairs.  Gone is the sanctifying ritual of butt numbing, back aching suffering for an hour or so every Sunday.  The new angled-back, deeply padded chairs truly make Sunday mornings a day of rest for many men.

So “pew” means it will have something to do with the church or at least being religious.  Besides, “sitting in my own comfy padded chair” sounds like I’m at a movie theater.

Pew has the added connotation of being odorous.  Usually, this refers to something of an unpleasant smell, like a diaper that needs to be changed.  But, it can also mean too much of a good smell, like in Anne of Green Gables when the cranky old spinster proclaims her young protégé to be “drrrrench in scent”.  Both can be overwhelming, which usually isn’t a good thing.

Whatever the symbolism might be, it is important to know, I am “in my own” pew.  It is my view, my observations, my thoughts, my stench, if you like.  So rightly or wrongly I am living in it.  I own it, which does not mean I am right!!  I just have an opinion.

I am not passing through or walking around.  I sitting… which means I’m right in the midst of it of whatever is under consideration. Sitting also means I’m thinking.  Oh I can think standing up and walking; spectacular I know.  But when I really want to consider something, I need to sit and mull it over properly.

So there is the thinking behind the title, “Sitting In My Own Pew”.

I started this blog for a number of reasons. Here’s a couple…

Over the last 20 years, I have had mostly silent struggles with the nature and manifestation of the church in North America.  I love the Bride of Christ.  But I was not sure she was as radiant as she might be. 

I have also struggled with my place in the church as a vocational minister.  If I believe God made me uniquely as a person to make a difference, where did I fit?  I have never been a good play-the-expected-role kind of guy.  And I certainly don’t fit neatly into “traditional” venues.  But, I have learned to maneuver through” traditional” places without stepping on too many landmines.  These lessons came at a price; as I use to run through minefields.

While those two thoughts were swirling about in my soul, the church as a whole was in the throes of what seemed to be a similar struggle.  This “transition”, of sorts, had been going on for some time.  By now, most everyone can feel it, if not actually see it.  The more facile we became with social media and with growing access to it, more people have gotten into the conversation of this “change”.  At the same time, lots more people are on the edges, listening in on all these conversations. Maybe, this “re-forming” will be good for us, good for the Body.

In the meanwhile, I’d like to try to help the Transitioning-Tammy and Johnny-Come-Lately sift through some of the ideas, thoughts and conversation, so that, they can be part of the process of growth.  Maybe, find a place to fit in...


Or, maybe, like Monsters, Inc. odorant, I might just stick up the place.  I’ll let you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment